Part One: My favorite poem out of the Richard Hugo packet was the last poem attached, The Good Dream. I think the poems structure and flow were better than the other poems, but maybe I just enjoy poems with more than one stanza, as the others were all one stanza poems. I have read the poem multiple times and I am still confused about who the narrator is inside the poem. I think it is a young boy who is skipping church or observing a town that is a little utopian, but he is not allowed in. "Girls won't pick on you here." This final line in the first stanza makes me feel like it must be a school boy or young child.
Part Two....and Part Three:
My dream kind of involves myself and the rest of humanity as I wish for a world that respects themselves and values their place in the world. I feel that many people are losing respect for our environment because we no longer need to personally labor any of the resources from it due to our technological advancements. As our technology progresses humans no longer get to have a bond between the food we are consuming and the origins of where it has come from. Our food all extents from plants at some point. It is essential that the food is as natural in its form that it can be because eventually the chemicals and pesticides found in it will, ultimately, end inside our bodies as we are at the very top of the food chain. This has already happened to our oceans, as the top predators contain large amounts of mercury and other dangerous chemicals. If we can focus on keeping and treating our environment in a clean way, then humans can remain a healthy species for a longer time. To do this, we need to change the way we view nature as a way to fuel humans technological advancements, but as our means of survival. We would not be anywhere as a species without clean food and water that can only be found in the place that we are tearing apart. It is a very obvious problem and one that our government and economy can't face because it will cause for our economy to collapse.
Is it reasonable to keep slowly depriving and poisoning the earth if it prevents the economic collapse of one of humans most explorative and technologically advanced civilization?
This is the question I believe many scientist must have been asking themselves over the years, but our technological advancements might have been able to solve this problem. Many countries are starting to become devoted to using clean energy, a form that is renewable, which will help solve some of economic inefficiency. However, if we try to remove the source of the problem, we need to focus on not finding a better way of using energy, but first help repair and heal the world. We need to rid the land of pesticides and fertilizers that are toxic to our bodies.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.