Last Journal
Part One:
All of the five poems by Richard Hugo are great, but if I had to pick my favorite it would be “In Your Wild Dream.” The reason why this is my favorite is because it describes life so perfectly. Life is unpredictable. One second you might be in your room resting in your bed, and the next second you might be all the way across the country. This poem captures this theme very well. Life is about living in the moment, not worrying about future problems and living every second to the fullest. “You are alone. Fishing again. You catch nothing. You dream you are dreaming all this.” This line emphasizes the point that, in life, you never know what to expect. Life is all about adapting to changes.
Part Two:
I have many dreams, but one my dearest dreams is to become a physician. Ever since I was little boy I always knew I wanted to become a physician. As a kid, I used to dream of wearing a white coat and diagnosing diseases and performing long, gruesome surgeries. My dream is to become a pediatric surgeon. Becoming a physician is not just a dream for me, it is a goal. I have worked very hard in school to get where I am today. I have studied countless nights preparing for exams. I am currently completing my last year in college and am on my way of applying to medical school.
Part Three:
A dream I have for my country, Kenya, is to build a free clinic. Not only do I want to build a free clinic, I would like to spend several weeks throughout the year volunteering my time there. A lot of clinics in Africa find it extremely difficult to employ trained healthcare professionals to tackle the number of people who need care and treatment. I know what it is like being in a country where access to healthcare is not readily available. I would also like to set up a non-profit organization to provide care to those who cannot afford it. Not only do I want to volunteer my time as a physician, I want to be able to educate people on the basis of health care. I also want to be an educator. A lot of people, not only in Kenya but the rest of Africa, get affected by many preventable diseases solely because they cannot afford it or they lack the proper knowledge. I want to make sure I do my best to help my people back home. I have this sense of obligation to give back to my country. I was fortunate enough to move to the United States and have the opportunity to get a good education. There are countless numbers of kids who weren’t fortunate enough to have the same opportunities as me. That is why I must work hard to accomplish my goal of becoming a physician and use my knowledge and skills to give back.
Thank you everyone for making the class great.
I really enjoyed what you said about the poem, how life is unpredictable. It seems to be the truth. I also share a dream that is very similar to yours. The only difference is that I would like to be a general surgeon. I am sure you will make a great physician, have fun applying for medical school I will be in the same boat soon enough.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you find success in becoming a doctor and helping your countryman within Kenya. I wish you well in getting in to the school of your choice and accomplishing your goals.
ReplyDelete